Conventional medicine (which realized that it only treats symptoms) tried to isolate treatments that it thought were helpful in alternative medicine and gave them a new name - Functional medicine.
"It is easy to hate, and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve, while bad things are straightforward to get."
Confucius (551 BC – 479 BC) was a Chinese teacher, politician, and philosopher. By Simran Khurana (Updated March 18, 2017)
What is Functional (Self-healing) Medicine?
Apparently, functional medicine only possesses clinically proven alternative therapies. (In practice, most functional medicine techniques have no proven clinical foundation; what about all the other alternative techniques?)
- Without precise definitions of alternative medicine and functional medicine, it isn't easy to treat the claim as if functional medicine is preferable!
- Functional medicine is supposedly a medicine that treats the disease's causes compared to conventional medicine that treats the disease's symptoms. If you look for explanations as to why it is different from alternative medicine, you will encounter difficulty because of the lack of definitions. (Philosophy of medicine)
Unlike conventional medicine, Self-healing functional medicine eliminates the causes of the disease, mental & physical, rather than its symptoms!
My broad suggested definition of Self-Healing Functional Natural Medicine:
"All types of methodologies, techniques of non-invasive medicine, (using mainly herbal drugs & natural supplements) for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the body, and mind, which can bring about a proven and significant improvement (without considerable side effects) in the overall health of the patient on the long run."
What is Functional Medicine?
Alternative medicine > is broader than Self-healing functional medicine.
- The annual global turnover of alternative medicine for 2015 was estimated by experts at about 40 billion dollars, with very high growth rates.
- Although this is a vast market, the available data is not up-to-date. There is also doubt about the data's reliability since there is no single regulator that centralizes the information and transfers it to the public in an accessible manner.
Healthcare definition (Wikipedia) with the additional sentence (in purple) I introduced.
Link: Healthcare (Wikipedia)
- "Health care or healthcare is the maintenance or improvement of health via the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, illness, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in people. Health professionals in allied health fields deliver health care."
- Health care is the maintenance or improvement of health with minimal usage of drugs and invasive medicine while making wise use of the close connection between the body, mind, and, spirit via the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, illness, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in people. Health professionals in allied health fields deliver health care.
Surprisingly, there is no clear definition of alternative medicine as well as functional medicine.
Recommended link: Conventional Modern Medicine vs. Self-Healing (Alternative) Medicine.
The common ground for all alternative-functional treatments is the self-healing ability that we all possess.
- In my opinion, conventional medicine and self-healing are a reflection of each other. One treats the body itself, and the other connects the body, mind, and spirit.
Wikipedia definition of Alternative medicine:
- "Alternative medicine describes any practice that aims to achieve the healing effects of medicine, but lacks biological plausibility and is untested or untestable. In some cases, AM treatments are proven ineffective."
MedicineNet definition of Alternative medicine.
- Alternative medicine is the term for medical products and practices that are not part of standard care.
U.S National Library of Medicine definition of Alternative medicine. (NLM)
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) or “complementary health approaches” are a group of diverse medical and health care practices and products that are not presently considered to be part of conventional medicine.
There are many definitions, the common denominator of which is that alternative medicine is the medicine that is not included in conventional medicine. (This is a definition by way of negation.)
Does the lack of definitions of what is included in the field of alternative medicine, and the absence of appropriate supervision and control over them, are accidental? (I do not know the answer.)
What are the guiding principles that enable treatments to be included with self-healing functional natural therapies?
- Treatments that eliminate the causes of the disease rather than its symptoms. While presenting the mechanism of action by which the method operates. (Including the placebo effect)
- Non-invasive techniques, without the use of pharmaceutical drugs, the use of herbal remedies for limited periods.
- Significant improvement in symptoms for extended periods while enhancing objective indicators such as blood tests, urine, imaging, etc. Without considerable side effects.
- Therapies that comply with the general principles of Self-healing Functional Natural Medicine.
There is no leading and objective institution to fund research into the effectiveness of alternative-functional therapies.
- There is no orderly and objective study of alternative-functional therapy's effectiveness in the absence of adequate funding. And so it's hard to say for sure which of the alternative therapies are effective over time and which ones aren't!
Doctors are uncomfortable admitting they need non-conventional medicine! The name functional medicine doesn't sound inferior!
- I prefer to define functional medicine - Self-healing medicine.
What are the possible implications of the lack of proper supervision and control over alternative-functional medicine?
- The lack of definitions contributes to inappropriate supervision and control over this growing field of alternative medicine that may attract entrepreneurs who may exploit sick people's distress without obtaining reliable information.
- Alternative treatments usually have fewer side effects than invasive drugs. The main problem may be the loss of valuable time in patients with serious illnesses.
- Many alternative treatments are not covered by regular health insurance, and long-term treatments can create a significant financial burden.
- Poor image of the field of alternative medicine. (Mainly among conventional doctors)
Unlike conventional medicine, Self-healing functional medicine eliminates the causes of the disease rather than its symptoms!