The name of the diet is derived from the "ketones." Ketones are a byproduct of the breakdown of fats as a source of energy.
The ketogenic diet - Short introduction. A ketogenic diet rich in fats and proteins is deficient in carbohydrates and starches.
- The ketogenic diet was initially used to treat children with epilepsy.
- The Ketogenic diet has gained tremendous momentum in recent years as an effective diet for weight loss.
- The question of whether it is a healthy long-term diet?
- The ketogenic diet is not recommended in the long term. Listed below are the main reasons.
1 Excessive load on the liver and kidneys damages the immune system in the long run.
- The production of vital energy for a body of fats and proteins is possible but at the cost of a heavy load on the kidneys and liver that are forced to remove the decomposition products such as ammonia, uric acids, urea, and ketones.
- Potential side effects may include constipation, high cholesterol, growth slowing, acidosis, and kidney stones. (Wikipedia)
2. It is challenging to feel satiety without carbs.
- We also eat through the eyes. With 75% of the calories coming from fats and oils, the food volume looks low compared to carbohydrate foods.
- A ketogenic menu usually contains very high amounts of animal foods that are primarily industrialized. (Meat, fish, dairy products, eggs.)
- Industrialized & processed foods have far-reaching adverse effects on the human body. Including diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc.
3 Some ketogenic diet foods with high-fat content may contain trans fats, creating high body toxicity.
4 Reducing the variety of foods allowed for consumption does not let the body get all its nutrients. (Antioxidants, minerals, enzymes, electrolytes.)
5 The ketogenic diet mimics starvation, initially achieving a significant weight loss, which is subsequently inhibited
The production of vital energy for a body of fats and proteins is possible but at the cost of a heavy load on the kidneys and liver.
Link: "The balanced, varied diet" is the best diet for maintaining good health and optimal weight.